Saturday, August 16, 2008

Vacation round up #5: Last one. The Best Damn Sandwich in The World


Back in the year 2000 I was living on Kearney street in between NW 22nd and 21st. In the spring of that year a sandwich shop opened up next door and it's still there today, It's called Tribute's. It was originally called Richie B's but the name changed in 2001 (before 911, it's kinda of a long story and I'm not going to get into it), but it still has the same owner and all the same recipes.

I was one of the first, if not the very first customer the day the placed opened, I'd been walking by the coming soon sign in the window for months. My first order was a Philly Cheese Stake sandwich and it was love at first bite. I took the sandwich home to eat it and after I was finished I immediately walked back downstairs from my apartment and ordered another one. I thanked them over and over for opening up their shop in my neighborhood. I got pretty fat that year I lived in Portland, because I was eating there three or 4 times a week.

Tribute's Philly Cheese Stake is quite simply the best damn sandwich in the world. It is indeed a taste sensation stuffed with mushrooms and peppers. It also has this optional spicy sauce that just gives it a little kick and is delicious. If you have never had the pleasure of eating one of these scrumptious sandwiches get on a plane right now and get to Portland and eat one. You won't be sorry.

All the food at tributes is good. They've got a delicious sausage with peppers and onions sandwich and an eggplant (that's right I said eggplant) sandwich that just melts in your mouth, loaded with mozzarella cheese and homemade marinara sauce. They also added pizza by the slice, hot dogs and salads to there menu over the years, but since I don't get back to Portland very often I only order the Philly. If anyone I know is going to Portland, they must bring me back a Philly. I don't care if it's out of the way or inconvenient, I need my damned sandwich!


This is the owner Judy, she's there behind the counter just about every day, and is just about the nicest person you'll ever meet. She always recognizes me when I come through the door no matter how long it's been. I guess she should I practically lived at that place for over a year. Did I mention I got really fat around then? She's also always really delighted to see Morgan and Ella when we walk in, but then that pretty much goes without saying, most people are delighted to see those two lovely ladies.

Well I just want to say, thank you Judy. Thank you for opening Tribute's and introducing me to my favorite sandwich in the world, and thank you for making this vacation and all my other trips to Portland a culinary delight. Please don't ever close. But if you do give me the recipe. I promise not to sell it or open up my own restaurant. I'll just sit around and make Philly's all the time and get fat again.

Well that's it for the vacation posts. I'm going to be messing around with some of the blogger features for the site, so if you see something weird on site it's just me playing around and it may or may not stay. It all just depends on how I think it looks.

Later,
CS

No comments: