Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Music Post

Okay, I said I was going to post about music and I've finally gotten around to it after much prompting. I've always been somewhat eclectic when it comes to music. Front row center has always been The King and The Beatles. They are in my blood and always have been. I'm not quite sure where the affinity for Elvis came from. The nearest I can gather is that I became self aware at the age of three, that is the year that he died and I remember seeing all of the coverage on television. After that it was just something about the sound of his music and overall coolness that just stuck with me. Funny thing though, when I was very young I couldn't differentiate between time so I thought that the 'Brady Bunch' was still on the air and that Elvis was still alive and making music.

*side note* Along the same topic, I was a huge 'Little Rascals' fan when I was a kid. They used to play the uncut (a topic for another day) episodes on TBS all of the time when I was a kid. When I was 7 years old my mom told me that Alfalfa had died (why she thought this was a good idea to tell a 7 year old I have no idea....Thanks Mom!). I was stunned, when I asked how she said it was from old age. I asked her if it was some potion or something that made him age rapidly and she said no he was just 90 years old and he just died of old age. It took me years to figure out what she was talking about. And in the last few years I've become even more confused since recently learning that he didn't actually live past his Thirties when he was shot and killed over $50. Again....Thanks Mom! *end of side note*

I remember having the Beatles 'Sgt. Peppers' album and listing to it all the time when I was little. I think that was my first taste of the Fab four. I also remember really liking the 'Yellow Submarine' song. When I was four I saw the movie 'Help!' on T.V., I was very disturbed and frightened by the scene where Paul gets accidently injected with a serum that shrinks him and the other Beatles think that they have stepped on him. Watching that scene as an adult, it just doesn't contain the same kind of fright value. But what really solidified my love and admiration for the Beatles was inheriting my father's vinyl collection after he passed when I was ten years old. I practically wore out his copy of 'Abbey Road' by listening to it more than a thousand times.

My other musical favorites and read like a hodge-podge of the musical industry and are all over the map, they include ELO, The Mighty Mighty Bostones, Faith No More, The Steve Miller Band, The Cars, Sponge, Fastball, Tom Jones, Jerry Lee Lewis, Reel Big Fish, They Might Be Giants, Wilson Picket, The Blues Brothers, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, The Doors, Mr. Bungle, The Offspring, The Reverend Horton Heat, The Royal Crown Revue, Black Sabbath, The Cherry Poppin Daddies, The Voodoo Glow Skulls, Bobby Darrin, Harry Connick Jr., The Who, Everclear, The Monkees, Neil Diamond, Beck, Roy Orbison, The Foo Fighters, The Hippos, The Hollies, Kiss, Cowboy Mouth, Me First and The Gimme Gimmes, The Beastie Boys, Zebrahead, Green Day, The Ramones, eels, Weezer and Ween just to name a few.

The reason that I wanted to do a post about music is because I wanted to throw out props to a couple of my friends. I've always wanted to be in a band, but I'm just an Okay singer. And I don't have the discipline to ever become truly great on any instrument. I played the drums for about 5 years and I was alright, but that's all really...just alright. But a couple of my buds are still living the dream.

First up is Cooney. I've known the crazy bastard for over 12 years now and I know that I've saved his life on just about as many occasions that he's put mine in jeopardy. Cooney's been a phenomenal bass & guitar player since I've known him, and he just kept getting better. Cooney's been in a ton of bands since college, my favorite was probably 'Twelfth House', for the most part they have all been rock bands. His current endeavor is a somewhat different sound, but one that I believe is equally cool. It's called 'Wayward Sway', and they have kind of an Old Timey, Celtic slash bluegrass kind of feel. Check out their website they have plenty of songs posted for you to give a listen to.
Next is Ramiz. I miss hanging out with this guy. Without question any social gathering that was attended by the both of us would inevitably end in a "Walkin Off". The sounds of "I need more cowbell baby", could be heard up and down the Rouge Valley. I've only ever seen Ramiz perform live once, but it was a trip, he really blew the crowd away. His group is called 'Subliminal Twinkeez', an I'm not usually one for Rap or Hip Hop, but I really dig there stuff. Again check out there site, they have a full album posted there for you to enjoy.

Well that's it for the music post. I'll Keep Cooney and Ramiz the Manchild's links on my site in the "Chucks Peeps" column on the right, so please check them out and let them know what you think of their stuff.

CS
Signing off.

P.S. A quick algebra problem, see if you can figure it out. (tl+jm)=q (squared). Oh wait, that's just wrong, I'm sorry I forgot the mass of tl is far too great for that to be correct. Revision, (tl+jm)= q (cubed), there......that's better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Algebra makes my brain hurt...

ChuckSuede said...

Yeah algebra is so "Brokeback", especially that problem.

I wanted to wish Cooney a happy 31st birthday. He's been calling and texting me since about 2am EST (He's in California). I got the last one about 20 minutes ago. It read "Mother Should I trust the government?", I think he should probably go to bed if he's planning on going out tonight to celebrate. But when Jon and I talked to him around 10am EST (7am PST) he said he was calling a cab and going to a bar. Good Luck Cooney. May the lord guard your liver well.

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew someone named Jack - I would totally call him Jack Nasty.

Anonymous said...

IF I SOLVE THE PROBLEM, CAN MY PRIZE BE THE "ENHANCED" BROKEBACK POSTER? I THINK IT WOULD LOOK GREAT FRAMED BEHIND OUR BAR.

ChuckSuede said...

You bet....In fact I think we should go into mass printings right now. Everyone out there is thinking...."I hate inside jokes" ...well tough, it's damn funny to us. And if you want to know just ask. Side note..... "SECONDARY A" I laughed so hard at the screen name I bit my lip.....damn you woman.